Ilaria Atletica - Thoughts


Atletica is a 50 plus minute toning and sculpting workout that uses compound movement for almost all of the exercises.
One of the things that Ilaria does throughout her workouts is she introduces them with real meaningful content.
Atletica has an introduction and in the introduction Ilaria shows you some of the moves you will be doing throughout the workout.

The workout is divided into roughly 4 series. Within each series, you go through all the exercises twice with the exception of the push up set. Mostly you do the exercises on the right, do them on the left and then go back and repeat the exercises on the right and the left. Then you move on to the next group of exercises.

Ilaria keeps the workout moving. You may get a short very brief break before a new series start but usually within the series you are moving from one exercise to the next without a break. Each exercise last for about "a minute plus" which translates I guess to between 60 and 85 seconds.
My beef (or so it seems) is that you are not doing the same amount of reps on the left as you did on the right in some exercises. Sometimes at the start of an exercise, Ilaria will just tell you - "We are going for 12 reps". 12 is on the light side. For most exercises you are doing way more reps than that. You hear "30 seconds remaining" a lot.

The most challenging exercise for me is the "one arm hanging squat". Ilaria also states that this is an advance exercise and she also shows you different techniques to modify a move if you desire.
During the push up set, you are doing a total of 50. You are doing 5, breaking for 15 seconds, and then doing another 5. You repeat this 10 times for 50 push ups.

The drums. When the workout first started, I was thinking "I am going to get tired of that really fast", but once I got into the workout, the drums didn't bother me at all. Most of the exercises are done with the beat of the drum and Ilaria will have the drummer slow down or speed up the tempo depending on the exercise.

Overall, I think Atletica is good workout. I like it better than I thought I would.

3 1/2 stars

Comments

  1. Good review of Ilaria, I've to limit my fitness dvd purchasing this year but maybe next year, I'll look at a Ilaria dvd. Hope Cathe's new dvds are available soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I have ordered myself not to buy anymore workouts for the rest of the year.
    This does not include workouts I have on pre-order - which if I remember correctly are only the Cathe workouts and three new FIRM workouts.

    The thing is I forgot I wanted to get the two new Jennifer Kries Yoga workouts but they will have to wait until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard isn't it Saundra, there are so many great workouts out there but I have to limit my purchasing. Curious to see if we'll get Cathe's workouts before the end of November.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review