Chalene Johnson Turbo Fire - Week In Review


Since I am doing several Turbo Fire workouts within a week, I will do a combine review of that week's workouts.

First a little about the set up, the Turbo Fire system is broken down into a series of Fire (aerobics) workouts, HiiT workouts, and toning workouts. The number in the title is a rough estimate of how long the class (workout) is. Each workout features a modifier and each workout is led by Chalene Johnson. The Fire workouts feature a combination breakdown option (called new to class) that you can select to learn the moves more slowly. This does make the workout longer.

I started my Turbo Fire workouts on Tuesday with Fire 60 Class. The Fire 60 Class actually clocks in at 56:58. It features several kickboxing dance based combinations and it has two drills repeated two times each and it has 2 finales at the end. Each of the drills are approximately 68 seconds. I like this workout. I did not get bored even though some of the combinations are slightly on the repetitive side. Chalene did an excellent job in selecting the music and there is lots of energy throughout the whole workout up until the very end.

Saturday, I continued with the Turbo Fire workouts. The first workout
I did was Lower 20 Class. The Lower 20 class clocks in at 21:09 and it features the lower body band as the resistance tool.

This workout is short but intense - some real burners. Most of the exercises are for the hip. The hamstring and quadriceps are also targeted. There is a standing section and a floor section.

I followed Lower 20 with HiiT 15. HiiT 15 is awesome. It clocks in at 16:27 and it packs a lot in in that time - including a warm up and cool down. There are three drills repeated three times each. The first and third drills are 35 seconds each and the second drill is 36 seconds. Prior to the each drill, Chalene marks through each move to give you an idea of what you are doing. Then the siren starts and you are off.
When I first did this workout, I thought the pace was very frantic. One of the reasons why I waited to review these workouts was because I wanted to see if that perception would hold up and it didn't. I didn't feel rush. Although I do think trying to execute each move fully is hard to do. HiiT 15 is a good get in and get out workout.
I followed this workout with Core 20. Core 20 clocks in at 20:08. The first 1/2 of the workout is standing and the second 1/2 of the workout is floor based.
These following are notes I made the first time I did the workout and I totally agree with my previous statements:
Chalene states "we are working all the muscles groups that define the core - abs, back, and hips". Chalene uses the tubing in this workout. I am not a fan of the tubing and found the tubing used in the standing section cumbersome, but I did like the way Chalene used the tubing when we went to the floor. The floor section using the tube reminded me of the type of work done on pilates machines. Other exercises included are standing oblique crunch and a series of planks exercises that included leg raises. Overall it was okay
I finish the Turbo Fire workouts with Stretch 10 (actually 12:28) Class. I like the Stretch 10 class. The stretches are very basic with some yoga thrown in.
The stretches emphasize the muscles you use when doing Turbo Fire.
Fire 60 - 4 1/2 stars
Lower 20 - 4 stars
HiiT 15 - 4 1/2 stars
Core 20 - 3 stars
Stretch 10 - 4 stars

Comments

  1. Would you say Saundra that these workouts are at the same intensity as Cathe's HIITs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan I would have said that Cathe HiiT are more intense.

    I am still comparing the workouts.
    When I did HiiT 30/30, I only burned 200 calories.
    When I did HiiT 15 class, I burned 170 calories.

    I was disappointed in the 30/30 calorie burn but I spoke with a couple of Fit friends and this seems to be what they average with this workout.

    So I will wait and see how I do with the other HiiT workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Saundra, wow I thought we would get higher calorie burns for Cathe's HIIT workouts. I getting to really like doing the high wave pyramid, I think it's the easiest of the three. Still a bit scared to do 40/20. Looking forward to reading your reviews on Cathe's new dvds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review