Amy Bento KB2 - Thoughts

A 65 minute workout, KB2 combines Kickboxing combos with Kettlebell Intervals. There are four combos and four intervals. These are surrounded by a warm up at the beginning and a cool down and stretch at the end.
Kickboxing combo sections:
The combos are more drill base than routine base.. Certainly, they are less intricate that many of Amy's other Kickboxing workout.
I like the combos. Amy does include a couple of new moves that haven't been in her other workouts. In terms of content within each combo, the warm up and combo 1 probably has the most content. The others seem short on content but made up for it in repetition. There is lots of repetition. Also, the combos are super easy to follow.
The Kettlebell Sections:
In some intervals, Amy uses two kettlebells and in some intervals, she uses only one.
Interval 1: High Pull, Snatch, Middle Get up (1 kettlebell)
Interval 2: Dual Swings, Dual Cleans, Front Loaded Squats (2 kettlebells)
Interval 3: Push ups, Renegade Row, Walk Forward/Back Plank Position ( 1 kettlebell)
Interval 4: Clean to rack, Press to Lunge holds (2 kettlebells)
When Amy used two kettlebells, I used dumbbells. When she used one kettlebell, I used a kettlebell, but the heaviest kettlebell weight I own is 10lbs. I think Amy is using 25 lbs per bell. Amy tells you anytime she is using two bells, you can choose to use one bell.

The workout slows down during the kettlebell sections. Amy gives herself and us a lot of time between the sets to recover. In each interval you are doing two sets of the exercise.


Following the last interval, is the cool down, which I really think of as a dynamic stretch or standing stretch. After this section, Amy goes on to a floor section.

Along with Amy, there is Uchenna. However, she is not modifying any of the moves. In some cases, particularly during the combos she is going harder than Amy. For the intervals, there is a picture in picture window that appears, showing you how to modify the moves with dumbbells.
Also Amy and Uchenna are doing the workout barefoot. The first time I did the workout, I did it without shoes, but this time I wore shoes.

The DVD is chaptered and does contain premixes. My biggest complaint about the DVD are the premixes. There are three of them and not one of the three is a combos only premix. Very annoyed with that.

The music is decent. It is mostly instrumental but the beat is good.

3 1/2 stars

Comments

  1. Hi Saundra, I'm beeah from VF and Collage..this workout dvd is getting not to good of reviews on Collage and I see you only gave it 3 1/2 stars...I think I'm going to pass on this one. I recently got Reinhardt Kettlebell System...I have lots of Kbell DVD, but this one is soooooooo good do you have it yet, if so do you think Ilaria's PowerStrike Kickboxing 6 would be a good compliment to Reinhardt Kettlebell System???

    I also notice that for September you're doing two workout most days..I want to do that, but how do you do it?? How do you get motivated for two workout a day??? I'm only doing 5 workouts a week (working my way up to 6)I used to do two 3x per week and suggestion?? thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beeah,
    Well, 3 1/2 is above average. So I think it is better than just okay. It didn't wow me though.
    I don't do or have many Kettlebell workouts, in fact beside's Amy Bento Kettelbell workouts and The FIRM's, the only other Kbell workouts I have are in my September rotation. So I can't answer you question about Reinhardt.

    I work out in the morning. That is my main workout. and Most months I will schedule an evening workout (usually Monday through Thursday after I get home from work) however, if I don't get it done it is no big deal. The next two month, I am posting the evening workouts for accountability because I want to get them done because I am training for a 10K which is Oct 30th.
    So usually for me it is because I am training for an event. Rarely do I try to do two workouts back to back. I always need a break in between and before work and after work is a good way to break it up. Plus, I have a desk job, so I am sitting mostly for 6 to 7 hours a day. I have to make myself get up and walk around every couple of hours.
    A suggestion that you can try, it to break a workout up over the course of several days.
    For instance, I do a lot of dance workouts and most of them will have three segments that are usually 10 to 15 minutes per segment.
    I will just do one segment per day when I get home from work. It really depends on how much time I have, how much time I want to commit to and mostly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I have a rotation calender like you do for each day of the month to keep me accountable and on target. It has really helped me..if I see 1 day I've missed a workout, it helps get back on schedule. I'll try your suggestion and break my workouts up

    I had pre-order Amy's 2 new Kbell workouts because I loved her Kettlebell Dymanics so much, but I cancelled for some reason I really don't know why excepted I wasn't WOWed by the clips.

    Good Luck on your 10K race...I think that's awesome

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review