Paul Katami Kettlebell Drills - Thoughts


Kettlebell Drills is about 36 minutes in length and features Paul Katami. The music is minimal, mostly background and the set is a warehouse.
The DVD contains three separate workouts. There is a Clinic or Tutorial. That is a little over 30 minutes. There is the Drills workout and there is a Core specific workouts. The core workout is about 18 minutes.
This review is just of the Drills workout.

So, along with Paul, there are two other cast members (Toby and Sarah). Sarah is your modifier. Paul likes to stop and point out form. He does this quite a bit. It's annoying because it is not natural. It appears to be very scripted.
The workout starts off with a warm up and the warm up uses the kettlebell. I was okay with this. Normally, I get annoyed with using weights in a warm up, but this didn't bother me. Now, I did use my lightest kettlebell for the warm up.
Because the warm up exercises are timed as well, there is really no distinction of when the warm up ends and the actual workout begins. Each drill is either 30 seconds or 60 seconds. Usually for the 60 second drill you are doing multi-joint compound exercises that time a lot of time to execute plus you are alternating sides.
In a lot of the 30 second drills you are doing one side and then the other side.
Before each exercise, Paul demonstrates what you are doing which gives you a rest in between the drills. This is my first time doing this workout. I might find once I know the workout that this is too much time between the drills, but first time out, I was happy to watch Paul demonstrate the move before we went into it.
There is a clock that appears in the lower left corner that counts down the drill. I am happy to report that I found the clock pretty much in sync with the exercise meaning it started and stopped when we did. There is one drill that goes a little past the clock time but I think that was Paul adding an extra rep. In any case, you can go at your own tempo. During a couple of the pivot moves, I most definitely was following my own tempo.
The clock is on the lower left and appearing briefly in the lower right is a caption telling you the exercise you are doing. I have included a spreadsheet of all those exercises.
I really appreciate the fact that Paul took the time to do this (write a caption for each exercise) but he didn't chapter the workout. So you can't chapter backward or forward to start or repeat a drill. If you hit your chapter button, it takes you back to the main menu where you can select the Clinic, Drills, or Core workout. There is a brief cool down after the drills.
I think this is a good workout. I have some serious DOMS which I am still feeling because of this workout. The pace is great. I will say that I got mixed results as far as calorie burn. My heart rate monitor showed 272 calories burned and my bodybugg showed only 131. Even so, I still like the workout. Paul cues well and is likable even though he annoys me stopping to do his form check thing. Overall, better than solid.
4 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review