Kathy Smith Aerobox Workout - Thoughts


Kathy Smith Aerobox Workout features Michael Olajide Jr and is approximately 50 minutes long. The workout is really led by Michael, with Kathy offering a tip here and there.
This workout originally came out in 1999 on VHS. I have the workout on DVD and the DVD is chaptered very nicely.
The DVD Menu is as follows:
Kathy's Intro
Warm Up (7 mins)
Stationary Boxing (10 mins)
Stick and Move 1 (5 mins)
Jump Rope 1 & Stick and Move 2 (6 mins)
Jump Rope 2 & Stick and Move 3 (6 mins)
Jump Rope 3 (4 mins)
Aerobic Cool Down (6 mins)
Stretches (4 mins)

Kathy's Intro is very good. She and Michael spend some time going over the moves and talking about why you take a certain stance as well as they go over the punches. I found Michael's instructions very informative with some great tips.

Out of the Boxing sections, the boxing in the Aerobic Cool Down section is my favorite. The Stationary Boxing section is good also but at times I thought the punches were super fast. Kathy does tell you if you think it is too fast to slow it down. In the other boxing sections (called Stick and Move), I found several of the moves to be awkward. I was finding it hard to get and keep the rhythm. I am sure the more I do the workout, the less I would feel that way. However, overall - not crazy about the boxing combinations.

I like the Jump Rope sections the best. Not that I can jump like Michael - but it was still pretty cool trying to do some of the moves. Jump Rope 3 is super hard. In fact, Kathy sat this one out as did most of the cast. You don't have to use an actual jump rope. They had someone demonstrating without an rope. I used a jump rope and jumping rope is tough and a super calorie burner.

Most of the videos I have with Michael, he is narrating the workout. In this workout, he is teaching it as he is doing it. It is Kathy who is doing the narration, which are mostly cuing fillers.

The set is a warehouse, I think. It looks industrial. The music fits the workout. The video kept switching between black & white and color, or maybe they just muted the color. Between Michael, the music, and the set, I like the vibe in this workout. The workout has a lot of natural energy.

3 stars

Comments

  1. This is a dvd I'd like to add to my collection of workouts. My vhs disappeared or it had help because one of my sons and my husband thought it was too hard for me though I had been pushing through pretty well, even if I say so myself.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel
    That is what it is all about. Pushing through!! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my favorite workout video when I was in highschool back in the 90's and still my favorite. Boxing workout is tough, but Michael Olajide, Jr. makes it work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review