WHFN FitPrime Upper Body Burn - Thoughts

Upper Body Burn is volume 5 in the WHFN FitPrime series. It features Keli Roberts as the instructor and it is 55 minutes in length.
The workouts in this series are known for working the non-dominant side first. For most people that is their left side, but the workout does not assume this so you are constantly hearing non-dominant and dominant throughout the workout and after awhile the two words start to run together. I mention this because I got mixed up trying to follow the phraseology and I found myself wondering throughout the workout whether or not I switched sides.

The WHFN are fusion workouts that combine pilates, cardio, yoga and weights. This workout is primarily weights (used to work the upper body) and the weight work is decent. It starts by working the non-dominant side with lat rows, push ups and single arm shoulder work. The workout then takes you through a series of bicep, triceps, push ups, double arms rows. About 30 minutes into the workout, it comes back and works the dominant side (lat rows, push ups, single arm shoulder work sequence).

Sprinkle throughout the workout are three cardio breaks; and while I think the segments are cute, they are not intense at all. The cardio felt more like they belong in the warm up or cool down section of the workout. I felt myself trying to go really big here to get my heart rate up.

About 40 minutes into the workout there is this long stretch segment that contains seated stretching using a towel, followed by some yoga. I felt like the workout was getting ready to end at this point but no.....

We move to floor for chest flys, pullover and an abdominal sequence. Then there was the ending stretch.

This would be a good workout if you are easing back into working out after not exercising for awhile. There just is not a lot of intensity. This may be what you would want on some days.

The workout is taught in the "live class" format. It is super easy to follow and Keli does a good job with cuing. I don't blame her on me getting messed up with the non-dominant/dominant thing. I think I might have spaced out for a second.

Great set. One of my favorite sets out of all the workouts I owned and the music is decent. Equipment: tall step, dowel, weights, towel, yoga block

If I were to rate this workout on intensity I would give it 2 stars but I believe that the FitPrime series were designed to be easier lighter workouts. So given that, I will give it 3 stars.

Comments

  1. Always enjoy your thorough reviews!
    Thank You,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review