Amy Bento Ross Drop Set Strength -Thoughts

Amy Bento's Drop Set Strength - well the workout is not 60 minutes long which is the approximate time listed on the back of the DVD cover. If you do the whole workout, we are talking about an almost 90 minute workout.
The workout is chaptered and contains the following sections:
warm up
Legs
Chest
Back
Shoulders
Biceps
Triceps
Core
Stretch.
Drop sets - with the exception of the legs and core sections, you are performing one cycle for 3 sets of each exercise. The reps for set 1 is 8, set 2 is 10 and set 3 is 12. As you go up in the number of reps, you are suppose to decrease the amount of weight you are using.
For some of the Leg exercises you perform two cycles (two times through) for 3 sets of each exercise or you are performing one cycle on the left leg and one cycle on the right.
The core exercises are not performed in the Drop Set manner. Here you are doing 4 sets of each exercise.

As you progress through the drop sets, Amy tweaks many of the exercises as you move along. For instance, during the Sumo Squat, set 1 which is 8 reps, Amy has you hold the weights at chest or rack level, set 2 you are holding the weight at shoulder level, and set 3 you are holding the weights in Overhead static press. This is the type of variation that Amy does for several of the exercises. I found I really had to be careful with weight selection as a move through the 3 sets because some moves became awkward or contain a balance challenge.

I kind of wish some of the exercises were a little bit more straight forward or traditional ( I am thinking of the Lat Contractions and Triceps Push ups). I probably could have called the Triceps Push ups, Triceps Power Jump Push ups because that is what you are doing for at least one of the sets.
Overall, I really like the exercises and thought the workout had a pretty good flow even though the workout was long.
There are premixes. They are:
Split One Mix (64 minutes)
Split Two Mix (54 minutes)
Split Three Mix (73 minutes)

I thought Amy did a really good job leading this workout. When I found out that she was going to be the only person in the workout, I thought to myself "Good, she won't have anyone to yell at".
I recently did a couple of her Cardio Karate workouts, and while I love the workouts, Amy drove me crazy with her constant yelling at the two other cast members.

Equipment, - Dumbbells, step, stability ball, and mat
3 & 3/4 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review