Ilaria Powerstrike Kickboxing Vol 7 - Thoughts



Powerstrike 7 is approximately 57 minutes in length and like other Powerstrike workouts it is characterized by lots of reps.
It starts with a warm up and the warm up features Ilaria's trademark push ups to warm up the upper body.  You then move into a series of punches, next comes kicks and then combos leading left followed by combos leading right. And then the workout pretty much ends. Not much of a cool down.

The punches start off with a double jab, slit, fast punch. Ilaria layers on  a hook, cross, upper-cut, cross, fast punches.  These punches are done on both the right and left lead.

When I say there are lots of reps. I am not exaggerating. For instance, once series of kicks you are doing 100 on the left  and then 100 on the right. And Ilaria hits all the kicks - front push, snap, side kick, back kick, round house and crescent in and out. 
At the conclusion of the kick section you are about 30 minutes into the workout. Then the real fun starts with the combinations.  Ilaria starts the combo with punches and then adds on kicks.  I like Ilaria's combinations. I like the fact that she gives you time to set up as you go into the next rep.  I also like the fact that there is an awkwardness when I first start to learn the combinations (in other words, they don't come naturally) and through repetition I become more proficient at the combos.  Ilaria teaches two combos on the left and then you repeat the combos on the right.

I thought the music was great. All the punches and kicks were pretty much timed to the music.

Now my gripes. 
Hate the set.  Very uninspiring.  And compared to the set of Vol 5 and 6, it is a real let down. However, the set is not my biggest gripe.  The thing about this workout that annoys me the most is the camera work or maybe it is the editing. Jittery.  Is one word I could use to describe some of the scenes.  It seemed that whoever was holding the camera could not hold it steady.  Also, there were way to many close up shots. Way too many upper body or above the waist only shots when she is doing kicking moves.  There are times that all we see are chest and arms and not even both arms.  A couple of times, there are only face shots.  This shows us nothing of the routine being done. 

Now I have done this workout twice already and I did that to see if I was just as annoyed the 2nd time with the camera angles as the first and I was.

However, I love Ilaria Kickboxing workouts.   And the content of the workout over shadows the crappy editing.  4 stars.

Comments

  1. Hi, Saudra-While I'm okay on the set on this one, I agree with you completely on the editing. It appears that the editing wasn't done for the benefit of the exerciser but for the benefit of so-called camera "art". I hadn't done this dvd for a while and decided to do so after reading your blog. I have enough trouble trying to learn the punch sequences without the camera angle flitting back and forth. Even though I've enjoyed this workout before, it really started bothering me today. Wanting to do some type of kickboxing, I switched over to Tae Bo where you can see everything that's going on--Carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review