Paula Abdul Get Up and Dance - Thoughts


Get Up and Dance! is an aerobic dance workout. The workout is roughly 50 minutes in length and features Paula Abdul, two assistant instructors and a huge cast of background dancers.
The set is a stage - looks like something you would find in a club atmosphere and the music is mostly by Paula.
There are three dance combinations. Within each combination, there are three dance moves that Paula breaks down for you in a slow count tempo. She then picks up the tempo the more you do the move until you are doing the dance move at full speed. Paula then either layers on to what you have already learned or goes on to teach you the next step in the combo. After learning all the steps you run through the combo at full speed. After learning all three combos, you run through the whole routine for several passes at full tempo.
In between the end of the combos and the cool down, there is a bit of comedy where the camera crew comes out to do a routine for Paula. I could have done without this. In fact, I chapter pass this bit of comedy and thought the makers of the DVD should have included this as a separate chapter point outside the main workout.
The workout concludes with abdominal work and a stretch.
This workout was fun for me to do. It had more complicated steps than some of my other dance workout videos and I like the challenge of learning the new steps.
The workout was filmed as if it were a music video so some of the camera angles seemed all of the place but I didn't feel as if the camera angles made it cumbersome to learn the dance.
The workout was made in 1995 and that might have been around the last time I did the workout. I had the VHS copy and just recently bought it on DVD.
3 1/2 stars

Comments

  1. Hi Saundra, I just bought this. I'm 54 but in good shape and have some dance background. I think it's a bit difficult because I never know if I'm going the right way or on the right foot. I don't have a giant area to learn it, moving the coffee table thing for room! But that's cool, I'll do whatever I can to learn. What I wish they did was have Paula teach the moves with her back to us, it would be easier to learn. Then after you master it, do it with the group.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review