The FIRM Express System Cycle 1 Ignite - Thoughts

Taken straight from the literature in The FIRM Express Fitness Guide is the following on what The FIRM Express System is all about:
"Here's how it works: Instead of starting with cardio, then sculpting each
muscle group separately like most traditional workouts do. The FIRM
Express compresses cardio and sculpting moves into twelve, rapid-results
workouts. The routines are grouped into four progressive cycles that include
the hottest studio moves, plus The FIRM Express Mini Bursts, the fast-blast
interval technique that gets targeted results burning up to 9X more fat than
traditional cardio workouts. All segments feature no-nonsense moves designed
to work all your muscles at once-and your abs continually."

Definition of The FIRM Express Mini Burst - "Mini Bursts alternate 8 seconds of fast paced exercise with 12 seconds of slower paced "recovery" movement."

So this week, I did the workouts from cycle 1 Ignite of The FIRM Express System.

The FIRM Express System Cycle 1 Ignite features Emily as the lead leading three 20 minute workouts.
The first workout I did in this series was Cardio + Sculpt. This workout reminded me of the most recent FIRM Cardio Sculpt workouts they have produced. By recent I mean "the Pink" workouts. It features intervals of cardio and weight moves intersperse with the mini-burst that define the system.

The burst featured in this workout are:
1. Flying Jacks
2. Modified Burpees
3. Power Squats
4. Little sprint - quick feet

The notes I made for this workout were: "Nice pace until then end and then the workout (stretch and ab section) felt rushed. Sculpting was okay, Cardio Okay, the burst were the best part of the workout. 20 minutes went quick."

Workout 2 was Cardio. The cardio contains mini aerobic sections that are kick box inspired and it features the mini burst as well. When I think of this workout, I think of it as a Hi Lo cardio workout.
The burst are:
1. One Leg Power Jumps
2. Fast wide knee
3. Step Squat
4. Jump squat with a clap overhead

Workout notes: "I really like this workout. Great pace and the ending stretch didn't feel rushed."




The third workout was Sculpt. The sculpting sets uses body weight and dumbbells and most of the sculpting exercises are compound in nature and feature traditional exercises such as dips with biceps curl and one arm rows. There is a little bit of the functional fitness style type exercises as well.
There are burst and they are:
1. Plie squats
2. One leg fast lunge
3. Mountains climbers
4. Side lunge.

Workout notes: "This workout has a brisk but steady pace. Also, I didn't feel rushed at the end. This is really a cardio sculpt workout."


When I first heard that the FIRM was doing a series of 20 minutes workouts, I was not all that impressed. When I heard about the 8 second burst and 12 second recovery, I was not excited. I mean what can you do in 8 seconds?. I found out that you can do quite a bit and I have to say so far, I am liking the workouts.

My major gripe about the workouts is that the clock that they show that counts down the 8 seconds is not always in sync with what the lead is saying. Either the lead (so far I have only done Jen's and Emily's workouts) are ending before the clock or they are ending after the clock. Also, I think they should have provided a clock to count down the recovery period as well.

In some of the workouts, the ending stretch felt extremely rushed. I think the FIRM could have solved this problem if they had created a bonus stretch segment that could have been a separate chapter point on each DVD.

Oh, the DVDs are chaptered . From what I can tell, each chapter points starts at the point the burst begins. A little more information about the burst is that you are doing each burst 4 times through.
Ignite Cardio + Sculpt - 3 stars
Ignite Cardio - 4 1/2 stars
Ignite Sculpt - 4 stars

Next week I will review Cycle 2 - Accelerate.

Comments

  1. I just finished the 3rd work out in the ignite series... I have to say, as someone who is out of shape, I found the workouts challenging but completely doable. I agree with you that I like the Ignite cardio the best too. It was actually kind of fun! My only complaint is that my knee has been killing me since the first video. Beginning exercisers should be careful about all the lunges and squats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saundra, just wondered how different would the 8 second burst be different to Cathe's HIIT or Intensity intervals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I agree about being careful of your knee. I am constantly modifying moves not just in these workouts but otherss as well because I hurt my knee last August/Sept.

    Susan, the difference is probably just a mind set. Like for Cathe HiiT 30/30. I know that I need to go for 30 seconds of whatever Cathe is doing so I would focus my output(pacing myself) on making sure I could do the whole 30 seconds.

    Well the initial feeling with the Express sytem is I can go all out for 8 seconds. So you kind of jump right in. The thing is I found myself still watching the 8 seconds count down and a couple of times those 8 seconds got long. Which is weird (because how long can 8 seconds feel).
    At least with the Ignite cycle the burst were a progression. So you kind of start with an easy move for the first burst and then by the third and fourth burst you are doing the more advance version full out. It eases you into the move.

    Don't know if all that made since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Saundra, that makes sense, 8 seconds of high intensity is still tough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those thinking about purchasing the Firm Express: You should know that when you order online and start to finalize your order, do NOT be fooled about the free vitamins. If you click to accept it, it will automatically charge you 3 payments of $29.99. I am now trying to have them cancel that out of my order (but I'll have to wait until Monday to do anything about it since it's the weekend and customer service is not open). If you call this number: 800-736-0652 for help, don't waste your time. Those people don't know anything and can't help. All they do is take orders. I've never had a good experience purchasing infomercial items but took a risk with this because it seems to be promising. Ordering infomercial items are always such a hassle & so shady.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review