Pump It Up! Powermix - Thoughts

Pump It Up! Powermix is led by Dominique Tipper. The DVD menus allows you to choose the Powermix 1 workout or the Powermix 2 work.
Powermix 1 is labeled as Beginner/Intermediate and Powermix 2 is labeled as Advanced. Each Powermix workouts comes with a warm up, tone section, and abs/stretch section. Whether you choose Powermix 1 or 2, the workout clocks in at 63 minutes. If you do all the sections of the workout, you are looking at an 85 minute workout.

This DVD does not allow you to create your own routine as some of the other PIU! workouts. That was a bummer. The DVD does have a skip to section workout in which you can choose:
Warm up - ~10 min
Tone - ~ 12 min
Powermix 1 - ~21 min
Powermix 2 - ~ 21 min
Abs & Stretch - ~ 19 min
Choosing the sections from this area is the only way you can do the two Powermix sections back to back. Both Powermix 1 and 2 include a mini (about 3 minutes) cool down and stretch.

When I did the workout, I did the Warm Up and the two Powermix Sections (which clocks in at about 52 minutes).
I would describe the routines as athletic dance. There are three combos in each Powermix.
Powermix 1 which is the Beginner/Intermediate workout, I have to say that I found stringing together some of the moves a bit tricky. So I was a bit apprehension about moving on to Powermix 2 which is suppose to be more advanced. There are complex moves in Powermix 2 but I didn't think them that much harder than those that appeared in PM1.

What made the dances hard to learn or tricky, is that Dominique taught quickly. She would show you a move and have your join her. She then tells you to keep doing that move while she shows you the next move.

I contrast that with the way Gareth Walker taught. He would have you go back to a march when he was showing you the next or new move. I found Gareth's way to be easier to learn the combos. This is mostly because it was distracting doing the move you just learned especially if you were having trouble with the move to begin with.

Even though Dominique taught quickly, I did think she cued fairly well. Her tempo was just fairly fast and if you missed something, then you were most likely playing catchup to the end of the combo.

The music is by Ministry of Sound - and overall not my favorite amongst all the Pump It Up! workouts, but still pretty good when comparing it to non-Pump It Up! DVDs.
The set, however, is probably my least favorite of all the Pump It Up workouts I have done so far. I think I have two more PIU! workouts to do after this one. I thought the set a bit stark and there were these poles sticking out from the wall. The poles would change colors as you go from one section of the workout to the next.

The DVD extras are: Behind the scenes, music videos, Play soundtrack only, Iphone App.
I like the workout
4 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review