Pump It Up! Move It Lose It

Well, I wasn't suppose to do this workout until Monday but it is the last workout in the series, so I decided to sneak it in.
Tooooooo many step touches is by biggest critique in Pump It Up! Move It Lose It.  And really my only other criticism is that the presenter (lead) Jay Revell seemed unsure at times which is strange because he choreograph the routines as well.  I think he may have just lost his focus, but it distracted me.
The music is by Ministry of Sound and it is great great great.  The set looked like dungeon, as if someone took their basement and tried to make it a dance club.
So the workout:
The format is similar to other Pump It Up! workouts and I like this format the best because you can essentially create your own workout from the different sections.  However, the create your workout doesn't give you the option of opting out of the warm up and stretch.  These are selected for you and you can't deselect them.
The sections you can select are:
Tone - this is standing toning
Dancemix 1 - this dance showcases moves from the pop scene
Dancemix 2 - this dance has a Latin and Caribbean flair, Jay calls it his sexy dance
Dancemix 3 - is a tribute to some of the big time female artist (Jay channels Beyonce quite a bit)
Legs, Bums, & Tums - Floor work
Choosing all five sections gives you a 96 minute workout.  Rarely do I select the Tone and Legs, Bums & Tums sections and I didn't this time either.
Each Dancemix contains three mini combos and are about 15 to 16 minutes.  All Dancemixes have a very brief cool down at the end.  Unlike most instructors who teach dance workouts, Jay does not teach in the layer approach.  Instead he teaches all the moves of a particular section, separating the moves by step touches (hence my criticism), he then put the moves together for one run through at double the reps.  He runs through the material again twice more but only doing half the amount of reps. He calls it "cutting it in half".  I call it breaking down the moves.
So you really don't get the reps (of actual dance moves) in with this approach.  However, you got plenty of step touches as everything was separated by step touches because the step touch was the base move.  So we got plenty of practice with the step touch. Sometimes we were step touching for 16 counts.  Can you tell this annoyed me?

With the exception of a "Beyonce move"  where he has you arch back and look side to side that occurred  in Dancemix 3, I really did enjoy all the moves and for the most part the vibe in each dance.

DVD Extras are:  Diet Plan, Behind the Scenes, Music Video, Soundtrack only.

I do find it irritating that I just can't select a workout section. It is annoying having to always chapter past the warm up if I just want to do a section of the workout.

I am going to give this workout 3 & 3/4 stars. I probably would have went higher if it wasn't for all the step touches. Love the soundtrack in this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review