The FIRM Cross Trainers (Pair 2) - Review


Back in the 90s, The FIRM put out several pairs of Cross Training videos. One of these pairs included the workouts FIRM Strength (previously titled StrongBody ) and FIRM Cardio (previously titled StrongHeart).
I don't know why the name change because the previous title made more since to me.
According to FIRM literature: "The FIRM Cross-Trainers series offers workouts in pairs that cross-train with one another - a proven technique for boosting results and breaking through a training plateau."
FIRM Strength is approximately a 58 minute workout led by Pam Cauthen. It is a total body workout that features mostly sculpting with some aerobic combinations thrown.
The back cover breaks down the workout at follows:
warm up - 6 minutes
aerobics - 10 minutes
body building - 32 minutes
abdominal/inner thigh - 8 minutes
final stretch - 3 minutes
This is one of my favorite FIRM total body workout. It is no nonsense and classic FIRM. Pam is very easy to follow and the workout itself flows very well.
The only thing I did not like about the the workout was when she did the "T-Bar Rows". That is because the T-Bar has to be loaded heavy on one end and at no time in the workout was this done or I should say it was done off camera. Also the move is performed using a towel to pull the bar towards you. Anytime I get to this section of the workout, I substitute with some other type of row.
FIRM Cardio is lead by Heidi Tanner. It is a total body workout and is also approximately 58 minutes in length. It is predominately sculpting with some cardio breaks interspersed throughout the workout.
The breakdown for FIRM Cardio (according to the back cover) is:
warm up - 4 minutes
aerobics - 9 minutes
body building - 24 minutes
abdominal floor work - 15 minutes
final stretch - 4 minutes
Another one of my favorite FIRM workouts and there is nothing that I can say I didn't like about this one. Just all around great workout and Heidi is excellent as a lead.
Both workouts features the short box step (for aerobics) and tall box step (for leg presses or to use as a prop). Barbell, dumbbells, ankle weights and a towel are other equipment that was used as well.
Also, both workouts are taught in the live class format (instructor facing class). In the workouts, all exercises are set to the tempo of the music. Sometimes the tempo is fast and sometimes it is slow, just depends on the exercise.
These two are definitely my favorite of the FIRM Cross Trainer (series of) workouts.
FIRM Cardio - 4.5 stars
FIRM Strength - 4.5 stars

Comments

  1. I really LOVE these workouts and both Heidi and Pam are excellent instructors. I can't do these on consective days because it makes me too sore. I have to do an aerobic workout in between, which will usually be one of The FIRM cardio focused workouts. One of my favorite FIRM cross trainers set is Super Sculpting and Super Cardio. I like them even better (as a set) because the cardio workout is TRUE cardio unlike FIRM Cardio. While an excellent workout, I just don't see why they call it "FIRM Cardio" I personally use it on strength days. It does keep my heart rate up though and I agree "Strong Heart" made more sense as a title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understood the name change for these two workouts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pro-Form 600 LT Treadmill - Thoughts

21 Day Fix Disc 1 - Review

Tony Horton P90X Legs & Back - Review